The remaining David Hall T206 collection is being sold through Heritage Auctions. The collection has already produced many high-end sales and stands ready to make a few more. The David Hall T206 collection of T206 cards was so large that the auction’s current installment was “Part VIII.” The Heritage auction closes on April 14 and a $100,000.00+ estimated NM-MT T206 Ty Cobb is the star of the show.
1909-11 T206 Piedmont 350 Ty Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder) PSA NM-MT 8 has an estimate of $100,000.00+ the current bid stands at $77,500.00. The image below has been provided by Heritage Auctions. According to Heritage Auctions:
“Among the just over sixty cards with a “Piedmont – 350 Subjects” population, this card is one of just two at the grade, with none superior. Glowing white borders diverge only slightly from equality, while corners expose just the slightest touches at two tips. Otherwise we can identify no caveats worthy of mention. Vivid hues and precise registration combine for a portrait that borders on the unimprovable. A visually stunning card.”
Heritage Auctions had another identical grade (PSA 8) in the T206 Ty Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder) that sold for $210,000 after the buyer’s premium in November 2021. The key difference between that card at that massive premium versus the Piedmont example is that it comes with a much more rare Old Mill back. Heritage noted at the time that the total population of the “Bat Off Shoulder” of over 1,100 cards had only 38 examples confirmed with the Old Mill back. The report at that time also noted that only 2 examples were graded NM-MT and the sole higher example was a PSA 8.5.
While the auction is not listed as a David Hall auction and with a later date, additional Ty Cobb opportunities exist in a Heritage Sports Catalog Auction that ends on May 12-14 (2022). Bidding officially opens for the following Ty Cobb cards on April 21. Here are the cards:
- 1912 E300 Plow’s Candy Ty Cobb PSA VG-EX 4. One of only 8 submitted to PSA with an estimate of $50,000.00+
- 1909-11 T206 Sweet Caporal 350-460/42 Ty Cobb (Portrait-Red) PSA NM 7 – Pop One, None Higher with an estimate of $50,000.00+.
- 1907 Wolverine News Ty Cobb (Batting) PSA VG-EX 4 one of only 7 graded by PSA with an estimate of $40,000.00+.
- 1916 D381 Ferguson Bakery Ty Cobb SGC 30 Good 2 – with only three graded examples this is the first appearance in a Heritage Auction. Estimate: $30,000.00+
- 1909-11 T206 Sweet Caporal 350/30 Ty Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder) PSA EX-MT 6 with an estimate of $30,000.00+.
- 1909-11 T206 Sweet caporal 150/25 Ty Cobb (Portrait-Green) PSA VG-EX+ 4.5 – Pop two, two Higher for Brand/Series/Factory Combo with an estimate of $25,000.00+.
- 1909 E102 “Set of 25” Ty Cobb PSA VG-EX 4 with an estimate of $20,000.00+
- 1909-11 T206 Piedmont 350/25 Ty Cobb (Portrait-Green) SGC 50 VG-EX 4 with an estimate of $20,000.00+.
- 1909-11 T206 Piedmont 350 Ty Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder) PSA EX 5 with an estimate of $20,000.00+.
- 1932 U.S. Caramel Ty Cobb #14 BVG NM-MT 8 with an estimate of $20,000.00+.
- 1909-11 T206 Piedmont 350 Ty Cobb (Portrait-Red) PSA VG-EX 4 with an estimate of $12,000.00+.
- 1909-11 T206 Sweet Caporal 350/30 Ty Cobb (Portrait-Red) PSA VG-EX+ 4.5 with an estimate of $12,000.00+.
- 1910-11 M116 Sporting Life Ty Cobb (Pastel Background) SGC 86 NM+ 7.5- no examples are graded higher. The estimate is $10,000.00+.