Kylian Mbappe is among the new generation of the hottest soccer players that sports card collectors have been buying up. Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are already very well established superstars in soccer, but Mbappe is among the hottest new generation of soccer stars in Europe. ESPN has reported that Mbappe wants to leave Paris Saint-Germain (PSG), specifically for Madrid. This brings big risks and big opportunities alike for sports card investors and collectors with high-end Kylian Mbappe cards.
The reality is that Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar’s higher-priced soccer cards all have some risks around contract negotiations. That doesn’t mean anything is written in stone, but it has to be considered.
The move could also have an impact on the longer-term value of cards and memorabilia for Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo specifically. According to the ESPN report, PSG isn’t exactly eager for Mbappe to leave. The team has spent millions to bring over Lionel Messi and undoing a dream team of this caliber isn’t as easy to sell in real life.
Real Madrid has reportedly offered $188 million to buy 22-year-old Mbappe’s contract, but the report also suggests that it may be closer to $235 million for PSG to accepting the offer.
Having Messi and Neymar is a more than formidable lineup on its own, but Mbappe is also in his last year of contract under PSG. Without a formal signing, Mbappe could be the biggest free agent in soccer next summer (2022).
PSG signed Mbappe in 2018 in a deal worth more than $200 million. Whether PSG is able to get MBappe to sign again remains in the air, and the team has indicated it would let him go if he wants — but under their conditions (i.e. contractual).
With PSG having signed Lionel Messi from Barcelona, a sale of Mbappe’s contract could allow for the creation of a rival dream team by pairing him with Cristiano Ronaldo. This is of course all still in the works and sports contracts have proven one thing over time — anything can happen.
Here are some of the top high-end Kylian Mbappe card sales from PWCC Marketplace and Goldin Auctions that have been seen with Mbappe rookie cards:
- 2018 Panini Prizm World Cup Gold Lazer Kylian Mbappe ROOKIE RC /15 #80 PSA 10…. $40,099.00
- 2017 Topps Chrome UEFA Soccer Orange Refractor #41 Kylian Mbappe RC 5/25 PSA 9… $37,100.00
- 2018 Panini Prizm World Cup Soccer NPP Fat Pack Factory Sealed Case, Mbappe RC… $31,600.00
- 2018 Topps Chrome Gold Refractor UEFA Soccer #41 Kylian Mbappe RC Rookie 7/50… $30,100.00
- 2017-18 Topps Chrome UEFA Champions League Orange Refractors #41 Kylian Mbappe Rookie Card (24/25) BGS PRISTINE 10… $50,400.00
- 2017-18 Topps Chrome UEFA Champions League Gold Refractors #41 Kylian Mbappe Rookie Card (40/50) BGS PRISTINE 10… $43,200.00
- 2017 Panini Select Zebra #224 Kylian Mbappe Rookie Card (3/25) PSA 10… $40,590.00
- 2017-18 Topps Chrome UEFA Champions League Gold Refractor #41 Kylian Mbappe Rookie Card (26/50) PSA 9… $34,440.00
These 8 sales are not at all the only sales which will have been in the high-end of modern soccer cards. Still, that is $300,000 combined in just 8 sales for cards that are all less than 5 years old. There are exponentially more sales that have been seen in recent weeks and months. That puts millions of dollars at risk for the sports card collectors and investors who have chased these prices up. Then again, the values could be beneficiaries of the news as well.
When dream teams are put together, some players are eager to win titles and championships. Then again, some players cherish having the greatest statistics. Getting to be the team striker in soccer is like being the top home run hitter for a baseball team. Goals and home runs sell tickets and command the highest overall fan crazes.
Again, nothing is yet set in stone.