Whether you prefer Star Wars over Star Trek, or vice versa, is an age old argument. Some fans like both almost equally, but collectors who want to own toys, cards or other memorabilia may have much more strong opinions about their favorite Sci-Fi genre. An upcoming collection of toys from Star Wars and Star Trek is up for auction and it has vast offerings from both universes.
This collection is from the same estate, so one individual or family collected and assembled this collection over the years. Bodnar’s Auction Sales is selling the 256 piece collection, which all started at $10.00 with a live broadcast sale on October 7, 2021. It was featured on Invaluable as well.
This single-owner estate collection is of Star Wars and Star Trek toys and action figures mostly in mint condition and from the 1970s and 1980s, as well as some up into more modern decades. These are also in original boxes and are of the collectability that has driven top dollar at other auctions in prior years. Many of these even have the price tags with many of the same store names on them.
Collectors Dashboard evaluates high-collectibles as an alternative asset class. This means collectibles are attracting the same capital that could have been invested into stocks or bonds. Whether or not that is the case for this particular collection of Star Wars and Star Trek may not be known until the end of the auction.
There is one lot (#72) which features Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Boba Fett action figure from 1980. This is the Kenner toy which has been sought after because of that high-end propotype that has sold from time to time and very high recently. The popular series The Mandalorian and the upcoming The Book of Boba Fett series on Disney+ are also big contributors to the recent interest. This boxed to came with a estimated between $500.00 to $1,000.00, but on last look it was already at $2,500.00 after 18 bids. (Image below from BodnarsAuction.com.)
Many of these are Kenner toys up for grabs and you will notice some of the same store tags and prices if you look at the auction site by individual photo lots. Here are listed items that are already receiving bids:
- Lot 38: Star Wars X-Wing Fighter – Kenner 1978 – Sealed. Estimated between $200.00 to $400.00 and is currently at $1,100.00 after 13 bids.
- Lot 46: Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back AT-AT All Terrain Armored Transport. Estimated between $200.00 to $400.00 and is currently at $825.00 after 10 bids.
- Lot 74: Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back R5-D4 Action Figure – 1980 is estimated between $300.00 to $600.00 and is currently at $525.00 after 12 bids.
- Lot 39: Star Wars Land Speeder – Kenner 1978 – Sealed. Estimated between $200.00 to $400.00 and is currently at $525.00 after 11 bids.
- Lot 207: Star Trek Action Figure Lot of 24. Estimated between $50.00 to $100.00 and is currently at $10.00 after 1 bid.
- Lot 226: Star Trek Franklin Mint 3-Dimensional Chess Set. Estimated between $150.00 to $300.00 and is currently at $90.00 after 7 bids.
- Lot 242: Star Trek The Motion Picture Mr. Spock Decanter. Estimated between $50.00 to $100.00 and is currently at $10.00 after 1 bid.
- Lot 246: Star Trek Generations Signed Framed Poster. Estimated between $200.00 to $400.00 and is currently at $10.00 after 1 bid.
- Lot 253: Star Trek Two Electronic Phaser Guns in Original Box – South Bend. Estimated between $50.00 to $100.00 and is currently at $10.00 after 1 bid.
This could be viewed as a popularity contest for Star Wars versus Star Trek. The collectors (and perhaps investors) will have the opportunity to bid on and buy a collection from a fellow enthusiast. Collectors Dashboard will be following this auction to see who dominates the galaxy.
One other issue may rekindle some of the Star Trek toys here — William Shatner is now scheduled in real life to go into space!