Very few people get to throw out the opening pitch of any professional baseball game for their favorite team in their life. Now imagine how few people get to throw out the opening pitch for a World Series game. Heritage Auctions conducted an auction that allowed the winning bidder to throw out the opening pitch in one game in the 2021 World Series. The cause was for Stand Up To Cancer and also includes Major League Baseball.
While this is certainly not a collectible in the classic sense, what a memory. Heritage Auctions raised $500,000 after 64 bids to win the item. A great cause, a great memory, and a personal collectible that will come with more sentimental value to the owner than anyone else.
According to Heritage, the ceremonial first pitch is one of baseball’s traditions that dates back to the late 1800s. The honor usually goes to famous or well-known people. Heritage Auctions said:
The Bid 2 End Cancer auction puts the winning bidder on the mound at a game during this year’s World Series to throw out a ceremonial first pitch – a rare and exciting opportunity made even more special with proceeds raised from this auction supporting Stand Up To Cancer and its innovative research programs.
The first pitch is for one of the 2021 World Series games and comes with premium seats for the winner and three guests. The package also included first-class airfare to the host city, as well as ground transportation and hotel accommodations for the group. And the ultimate prize, outside of being the on to throw the opening pitch, is that the winner gets to keep the ball used for the opening pitch.
These were the prize details laid out by Heritage Auctions:
1) One (1) winner to throw a ceremonial first pitch at one (1) game of the 2021 MLB World Series, as determined by Stand Up To Cancer and Major League Baseball. Television broadcast of the ceremonial first pitch subject to network broadcast considerations.
2) Four tickets to the first pitch experience game for use by the winner and three (3) guests.
3) Round-trip first-class airfare for winner and three (3) guests on American Airlines from anywhere in North America, subject to availability.
4) Two (2) hotel rooms for two (2) nights each to accommodate the first pitch experience attendee and guests in the hotel selected by Major League Baseball in the prize game host city.
5) Ground transportation to and from the airport in the host city for the first pitch experience attendee and guests.
6) Opportunity for successful bidder and guests to attend a meet and greet with Major League Baseball VIP, as determined by Major League Baseball.
7) The ball used for the ceremonial first pitch.
Congratulations to the winner!